Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

General Questions | Advising | Career Services | Disability Services | Other

General Questions

  1. I want to go to college; where do I start? How do I enroll?
    1. Go to the Admissions FAQ web page and carefully review the information provided.
    2. To complete an entrance application - follow the six (6) steps in the Admissions Enrollment Guide.
    3. After submitting an application and the application has been processed, the student will receive an email at the email address the student has provided.
  2. What is the difference between Admissions, Financial Aid, and the Business Office?
    1. The Admissions Office is responsible for:
      1. Processing all admissions documents, which includes but is not limited to, application forms, transcripts, Selective Service registration, immunization records, FERPA access forms, degree changes form, academic appeal letters, etc.
      2. For more detailed information about the Admissions Office, please visit the Admissions web page
      3. Go to the Bulletin/Class Schedule page and select the semester for all important dates, including a listing of the semester sessions. The last day to register for a course is the first day of class, except for session A (full semester classes). Normally, the last day to register for session A class is a week after the first day of class.
    2. The Financial Aid Office processes students' financial aid. Students should submit all their financial aid documents and/or financial appeal letters to the Financial Aid Office. For more information about the Financial Aid Office and how to apply, please visit the Financial Aid web page.
    3. The Business Office is responsible for handling student payments, information regarding holds, student refunds, and student collection account information. For more information, visit the Business Office web page.
  3. What services are offered in the Center for Student Success?
    1. Academic Advising - The Academic Advising Center provides students with a wide range of services developed to ensure that the individual needs of the student are addressed in all aspects of the academic decision-making process.
    2. Career Services - Students experience a positive atmosphere in which to explore career and employment options.
    3. Disability Services - Disability Services coordinates campus-wide efforts to provide services and accommodations for students with disabilities.


  1. What services does the Center for Student Success Academic Advising Center offer?
    1. Provides general information about the different degrees and programs offered at the college.
    2. Assists with enrolling and dropping classes.
    3. Evaluates college transcripts.
    4. Provides guidance in the academic making process.
  2. How is Academic Advising different from faculty advising? The Advising Center's main focus is helping new and transfer students make a successful transition into BPCC. The Academic Advisors see students year-round to address questions and concerns they may have about degree plans and changes in majors. Although faculty advisors can be reached during their office hours, they are primarily available as advisors during preregistration.
  3. Who is my academic advisor? In general, you may be advised by any designated program/departmental advisor for your major. Some programs have program-specific advisors; the division office can direct you.
  4. Do I need to be advised by my faculty advisor within my degree area, rather than in the Center for Student Success?
    1. If you are a new student, transfer, or former student, you should see an advisor in the Center for Student Success located on the second floor of building F unless your major is one of the following:
      1. Communications (D-316)
      2. Computer Information Technology (G-142)
      3. Engineering, Oil and Gas Production, Manufacturing (L-211)
      4. Care and Development of Young Children (E-140)
      5. Teaching Grades 1-5 (E-129)
    2. If you are a continuing student, you should go to the division where your degree is housed.
  5. As a student new to college, do I have to take the Placement Tests?
    1. Not if you have ACT, SAT, Compass or Accuplacer scores. Advisors can use these scores to determine the courses in which you will need to enroll.
    2. If you have not had ACT, SAT, Compass or Accuplacer scores or if it has been several years since you last attended any school, it is recommended that you take the Placement Tests.
    3. A student may enroll in EDUC 099, READ 099, ENGL 098, and MATH 097 without any test scores, but doing so is not recommended.
  6. As a transfer student, do I need to bring my transcripts when I meet with an advisor? Yes, it is important to bring an unofficial copy of your transcript from each college, other than BPCC, that you have attended.
  7. As a transfer student, do I have to take the Placement Tests?
    1. Not if you attempted or completed college level English and math courses.
    2. If you do not have previous credit for college level English and math, then it is advised that you take our placement test to determine the courses in which you will need to enroll. Also, if it has been several years since you attempted but were not successful in college level English and/or math courses, placement tests are recommended.
  8. Am I required to take Developmental Courses?
    1. Students not meeting the college level English and math prerequisites (placing into developmental courses) are required to take the necessary courses to help insure success in the college level courses.
    2. Students placing into more than one developmental course are required to successfully complete EDUC 099.
  9. Whom do I see about dropping a class?
    1. Before adding or dropping a class, it is very important that the student receiving federal aid meet with a Financial Aid advisor (Bldg. F room 203)
    2. Students may either drop themselves from classes through LoLA or get assistance through an academic advisor.

Career Services

  1. Who is eligible to use the services offered in the Career Services Office? Students currently enrolled in classes at Bossier Parish Community College.
  2. Are BPCC Alumni eligible to use the services offered in the Career Services Office? BPCC graduates are eligible to use the Alumni section of the BPCC Job Board and are always welcome at Career Services events.
  3. What is the BPCC Job Board and where is it located?
    1. The BPCC Job BoardWill open new browser window or tab is a web-based network to search job opportunities (local and national) and stay informed about the job search process.
    2. Free career resources, available services, and announcements of interest can be accessed through this College Connection portal.
    3. It is located on the BPCC Career Services web page.
  4. Can I use the services offered if I attended BPCC but did not graduate? No, unless, the general public has been invited to participate in an event.
  5. If I submit a student worker application, am I guaranteed a job assignment? No. The application is used to determine Federal Work Study eligibility. Once a student is determined to be eligible for the program, a job interview can be scheduled when openings occur.
  6. Do all eligible applicants get an interview?
    1. Not all applicants get scheduled to interview.
    2. A helpful hint: Make sure you complete a neat and thorough application.
    3. Your goal is to make an employer want to interview you! An incomplete, sloppy application might get set aside.
  7. Is a résumé required in the Career Services Office? No, a résumé is optional. However, an organized, easy to read résumé increases your chance of job search success.
  8. Are Résumé Writing workshops offered? Yes. Workshops in Résumé Writing and Job Interview Skills are offered throughout the semester. These are advertised on the BPCC Job Board.Will open new browser window or tab
  9. Does the Career Services Office offer résumé writing assistance?
    1. Yes. The OptimalRésumé software package is a great tool to get you started.
    2. You must be a currently-enrolled BPCC student to use the software.
    3. The OptimalRésumé software packagee is located on the Career Services web page in the Job Tools/Resume link. Create an account and start using this benefit.
  10. Are job skills workshops offered? Yes. Workshops in Résumé Writing and Job Interview Skills are offered throughout the semester. These are advertised on the BPCC Job Board.Will open new browser window or tab

Disability Services

  1. What services does the Office of Disability Services provide BPCC students? The Office of Disability Services ensures that eligible students receive proper classroom modifications and academic accommodations and acts as a liaison between faculty and students. Academic accommodations are based on a case-by-case scenario, and accommodations have to be substantiated through medical documentation.
  2. Who is eligible for services? Any student with a current schedule who completes the semester application packet requesting Disability Services is eligible for services, as long as the student has provided current and relevant medical documentation substantiating the disability.
  3. What are some qualifying disabilities? The most commonly identified disabilities include, but are not limited to, the following: Anxiety, ADHD, PTSD, Depression, Dyslexia, Vision and Hearing Impairments, Arthritis and Mobility Disorders, and ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder).
  4. What academic accommodations does BPCC offer? Each student’s medical documentation and request for services is reviewed on a case-by-case scenario; however, the most requested academic accommodations include, but are not limited to, the following: Extended Test Time, Extended Time for Assignments, Isolated Testing, Use of a Calculator (for Developmental Math Courses), a Reader for Testing Only, Preferential Seating, Sign-Language Interpreter, and Use of a Recorder.
  5. What are some differences between high school and college-level ADA services? At the college level, students are expected to be responsible for, but not limited to, the following: student success, transportation, textbooks, time management, attendance, open communication, completing ALL coursework by the end of the semester, and self-identifying with Disability Services EVERY semester.
  6. Where is Disability Services located? The office of the Disability Services Coordinator is located in Building D Room 108. The Disability Services Testing is located in Building F Room 250 with the Student Support Specialist.
  7. What if current and accurate medical documentation is not available? Disability Services has a Medical Certification Form which any student can take to a medical professional who can substantiate the student’s disability through completing the Medical Certification Form. Disability Services also has a Community Resources Handout with local resources that can assist students, such as Louisiana Rehabilitation Services and Families Helping Families.
  8. Is there a deadline for services? Students can request services up until the very end of the semester. There is no deadline; however, services are not retro-active, and processing requests takes time. Disability Services strongly suggests that students submit completed paperwork at least two-weeks prior to the necessary services.


  1. Do I have to have a schedule before I can get a Student ID?
    1. You should have a printed schedule before getting a Student ID.
  2. Why do I have a hold, and how can I find out what it is?
    1. Student holds can be viewed by logging on to LOLA.Will open new browser window or tab
    2. For Financial Aid Holds (Financial Aid Appeal or APlan), students contact the Financial Aid Office:
      1. Building F, Room 226
      2. Office Hours:
        8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. - Monday
        8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. - Tuesday - Thursday
        Closed on Friday
    3. For Financial Holds, students contact the Business Office at 318-678-6012 and our staff will be glad to assist them in determining the nature of the hold.
    4. For Advising Holds, students contact an Academic Advisor
      1. Building F, Room 250
      2. Office Hours:
        8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. - Monday
        8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. - Tuesday – Thursday
        8:00 a.m. – noon - Friday
  3. How do I get to the 3rd floor of classroom buildings? You can either take the elevator or use the stairways that are located on each end of the hallway to get to the 3rd floor.
  4. How do I get my books?
    1. What is an Electronic Book Allowance?
      1. Financial Aid recipients who are due a credit balance for the semester (after tuition/fees/housing charges are deducted) will be allowed to participate in the Electronic Book Allowance process.
        1. Students should go to the bookstore to utilize the electronic book allowance process. Students will not need to go to the Financial Aid office to obtain a paper voucher.
        2. NOTICE: Students with Scholarships, Exemptions, or Waivers will not be able to utilize the electronic book allowance process. If a scholarship, waiver, or exemption will be providing your books, you must go to the Business Office to obtain a paper book voucher.
    2. How do I find the book I need?
      1. Not all courses require the student to purchase books
      2. Students can either go to our bookstore, which is located on the first floor of Building F, or go to the bookstore web pageWill open new browser window or tab to find the book needed for the course.
    3. Students may purchase either new or used books (according to book availability) or, if available, the student may rent books.
    4. Students should go to classes even if they do not have a book. Different instructors have different requirements about books. Most instructors don not require a book for the first class and will announce whether or not a book is required for the class.
  5. How many hours does the student need to study?
    1. Study six hours per week (two hours per hour in class) for an easy class, nine hours per week (three hours per hour in class) for an average class, and twelve hours per week (four hours per hour in class) for a difficult class.
    2. Students enrolled in online classes should increase the number of hours per week to include the hours in which the student would attend in class.
    3. Students enrolled in shorter sessions should also multiply the numbers of hours per week by two for 8-week classes (doing the same amount of work in one-half the time) and by four for 4-week classes (doing the same amount of work in one-fourth the time).
  6. What is LOLA?
    1. LOLAWill open new browser window or tab is short for Log on Louisiana
    2. For instructions on how to login to LOLA, see the Student Login Information Guide.