Savoir Faire Writing Prompts
Having Trouble Getting Started?
The following is a list of possible prompts for writing an original short story between 2 and 5 pages long in MLA and Word format. After you have written the story, please send it through email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and make sure to fill out a submission form found on our web page and follow the directions for submitting your work closely. Not only does being published look great on a resume, but there is a chance to win $100 for the best writing.
These prompts are from Writer's Digest:
- Pretend you are a recovering alcoholic who falls off the wagon while attending your high school reunion. Start your story with “I hadn’t had a drink in nearly 10 years” and end it with “If only I could remember where I left my pants.”
- A mad scientist approaches you with an offer—he will heighten one of your senses, but it will make one of your other senses duller. It isn’t optional; he’s going to perform the surgery anyway, but you get to choose which two senses. Write this scene.
- At exactly midnight on New Year’s Eve you receive an email labeled “Open Immediately.” The really strange thing is that the email is apparently from your future self. What does it say?
- While driving to pick up lunch, you accidentally bump into the car in front of you—a light fender bender—that pops open the other car’s trunk. When you get out to assess the damage, you notice that the driver of the other car is none other than your favorite actor. More important, you notice a dead body in the trunk. Who is the actor and what elaborate excuse does he give you to explain the dead body in his trunk?
More prompts from LitBridge:
- What if you found your pet flying around the room?
What if you woke up and had a super power?
What if you suddenly lost your ability to drive a car?
What if you received a call that your parent was deathly ill or had even passed away overnight?
What if you discovered that you had another sibling?