Essie Mae Winfield "Pursuit of Excellence" Scholarship Award
About Mrs. Essie Mae Winfield:
Mrs. Essie Mae Winfield was a mother, grandmother, public servant and as described by those who knew her best, a “quiet hero”. She dedicated a life-long career to caring for the men and women at Barksdale Air Force Base as a custodian – a job for which she took great pride. But the greatest source of pride for Mrs. Winfield was her (17) grandchildren and 31 great grandchildren. Her mission was to insure that her grandchildren, great grandchildren, and all youth who had an ear to hear, headed her message that “to achieve a college education was the path to achieving success”. Mrs. Winfield believed that anything short of “educational excellence” in a time when education was so accessible was not acceptable. With this award, Essie Mae Winfield’s grandchildren and great grandchildren honor her legacy by making education available to others who seek that same level of “excellence”.
The BPCC Foundation Scholarship Committee will award one (1) Essie Mae Winfield scholarship award each year in the amount of $1,000 to a full-time academic student.
All applicants must possess a minimum 3.000 GPA on high school or college work.
- Student is or will be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours (full-time) at BPCC during time for which he/she is requesting assistance.
- Student demonstrates a special or unusual financial need as determined by the committee.
- Student possesses talents that are desirable and which will lend credibility to the college.
- Student has other special existing circumstances which warrant the issuing of a scholarship.
Student must not be receiving any other type of financial assistance.
Procedures for Applying for the Essie Mae Winfield Academic Scholarship:
Applicant must submit an application,essay letter stating need, transcript and valid I.D. (no photos please) to the BPCC Foundation Office by deadline (see below).
- Applicants seeking assistance must be on file at the BPCC Financial Aid office.
NOTE: Applications missing any of the above information are considered incomplete and will not be processed.
BPCC Foundation Office will mail award and denial letters to applicants.
Application for scholarship does not guarantee an award. Students must maintain contact with Financial Aid office to plan for and fulfill financial obligations during selection process.
Fall Applications: July 15th OR Spring Applications: December 15th