Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is considered gift-aid that does not have to be repaid. The Pell Grant award is based upon the student's EFC and enrollment status. The Pell Grant award is based solely on financial need. Unlike loans, grants do not have to be repaid unless, for example, the student is awarded funds incorrectly or the student withdraws from school. The amount the student receives depends on his/her financial need, cost of attendance and enrollment status. Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students – those who haven't earned a bachelor's or graduate degree. Amounts can change yearly. In order to determine a student's eligibility; the student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list BPCC as a school; the school must receive a valid Student Aid Report (SAR) or Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR), generated by the FAFSA submission, while the student is enrolled and eligible. To be valid, the SAR/ISIR must contain the following:

  • A Pell-eligible Expected Family Contribution (EFC);
  • All information used in the calculation of the EFC complete and accurate at the time the application was signed;
  • Accurate information, subject to updating, at the time the SAR/ISIR (not selected for verification) is submitted to BPCC; and
  • Accurate information as of the time of verification; at the time the SAR/ISIR (selected for verification) is submitted to BPCC.

Maximum Pell Award
Eligibility for Pell grants has been restricted to 12 semesters of full-time enrollment, or the equivalent for part-time students. If you have been a full-time student and have received Pell grants for 12 semesters, you cannot receive another Pell grant. Pell eligibility is pro-rated for part-time attendance. This affects current and future students. » More information about Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility UsedPDF File

Please note: If you receive Pell grant for two full-time semesters in an award year (fall and spring), you will have NO eligibility left for the summer semester.

Pell Awards
The amount of the Pell Grant that a student is eligible to receive is dependent on several factors, which include: the expected family contribution (EFC) from the FAFSA, the student’s enrollment status (full-time, ¾-time, ½-time, less than ½ -time), and whether the student attends for a full academic year or less. If you know your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from your FAFSA, you may use the Pell Grant Award Schedule to determine the amount of your Pell grant award.


2017-2018 Pell Grant Award SchedulePDF File
2016-2017 Pell Grant Award SchedulePDF File

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) program is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest EFC will be considered first for an SEOG. Just like the federal Pell Grant, the SEOG does not have to be repaid. Funds for this program are limited.

The Federal SEOG is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis depending on your financial need. The average BPCC SEOG award is $450 per semester. Priority is given to students who are eligible for the Federal Pell Grant and who have submitted the FAFSA prior to June 1.

To apply for a Federal SEOG you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually. Eligibility for the Federal SEOG is based upon your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) determined from the FAFSA. Apply online at

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG)

The Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG) is awarded to students whose parent or guardian died as result of U.S. military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001. Students must have been younger than 24 years old or have been enrolled in college at the time of the parent or guardian’s death to qualify. Students must complete the FAFSA to apply for this grant.

Go Grant

The Go Grant is state grant that does not have to be repaid. Eligibility criteria may be found at the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance web site.Will open new browser window or tab Funding is limited. Eligible students must be enrolled full-time (12 or more credit hours) and will receive the following award amounts per year:

  • Full-time (at least 12 credit hours) - $1,000/year ($500 per semester; fall/spring)